Giving Thought to NaNoWriMo 2016

I've done a big fat nothing in terms of writing in the last couple of months - I have an actual sci-fi novel completed that is entitled "Fulcrum" but have sort of stalled out on the sequel, "Vorticity" - and am trying to get myself back into gear. Thinking about trying something different this year...

A while back, I wrote the novel-length Justice League story, "The Last" and it went over pretty well, and I'd like to dip my toes back into superheroes, so I'm thinking of trying to work on a novel I've had in mind for a while that I've tentatively titled "Earthfall." The core concept is this: Starship Troopers (the book by Heinlein, not Melrose Space the movie) meets superheroes. My 'Johnny Rico' would be David Fury, who is a 2nd Generation ultrahuman - flying brick, of course, because that's my favorite. And like Starship Troopers, I don't want to end it on a "huzzah! We won!" note, but rather a "Yup. The war is still going on. But now, we've got a fighting chance."

One of the more interesting books I've read in recent years that sort of influences this is Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines which is superheroes in a zombie apocalypse. Now personally, I hate zombies but having superheroes in an apocalypse of some sort is a really neat idea and as Starship Troopers is probably one of my all-time favorite books ever, having the heroes fight a horde of alien bugs ... well, now we're talking.

So yeah. Probably going to try and do "Earthfall" this November...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paladin Thoughts

Earthfall, Plot Outline

Capaldi Leaving Who